Dakota's Nature Photos

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Acorns

I don’t know about where you live, but acorns have been plenteous where I am. It’s almost so bad that you have to bring an umbrella outside to keep from getting hit in the head by them falling from the trees.

3 observation(s):

Amber Noella said...

Have you ever got hit? I'm sure it's not a pleasant experience!!

Mackenzie A. Lockhart said...

Yum! Can you eat those? We don't have acorns growing in our community (*furrows brow* at least I don't think we do).

Squeaks.

Dakota said...

Amber: Thankfully, I don't recall ever being hit by an acorn. Though if I got hit hard enough, it may simply not be registering in my memory. LOL! Nevertheless, there have been a number of times when one has fallen from a tree and hit the metal roof on our shed and made a resounding BANG, which is pretty scary if you don't know where the sound is coming from. It took me a few days to figure out that it was just acorns. haha.

Squeaks: Though I would never recommend it, yes, acorns are indeed edible. An elderly woman once showed me how to open them up and eat the core, and it was the most bitter thing I've ever put in my mouth. I don't know how squirrles can stand it. LOL!